Saturday, January 28, 2012

American Way

Lately,

I've been remembering my childhood. Brisk walks to the convenient store with my older sister, empathizing with each other about middle and high school woes, drinking soda in the late afternoon and of course lounging back in front of the TV.

I think back to these days and almost curse myself for not doing more. I begin to wonder, did I take the long way and others found the right trails? I can't help out but believe so.

This issue of self versus external judgment is one that I've been battling for a while. Why can't I just look behind those who judged me in the past and embrace who I really am even AS people judge and always will judge me?

Is it because we live in a non-accountable society where industries rule our lives and personal order? I think about it. The 'American Way' is nothing but a lifestyle we choose to live in under this faux great power we call the USA. The lower to middle class jobs (the majority of jobs in this country) necessitate quick fixes to get through the days. Now, of course this is just my opinion and I am no expert but I see first hand that when you are in a job where you are not trained, empowered or encouraged to find your passion, you lose the means and the motivation to find balance in your life. Imagine this: I work 40+ hours a week as a waitress and I'm on my feet all day serving an array of human beings who for the most part do not care about my personal well being. My employer doesn't want me to slip below a certain level and I have to keep up the pace. I get paid a meager salary and prices are only going up. I can't afford healthy groceries every week. My apartment is falling apart and I can't even afford the right dental fixtures I need to stop grinding my teeth from the stresses of my daily life. I begin to budget for each day and only get frozen food and generic cereals and breads that do not have proper vitamins. I drink caffeine all the time. Have to be up at 5:30 AM. And this my friends, is the American Way. You can't live close to the diner you work at without paying hefty rent. You can't afford nice things but you'll settle for what's available and save the rest for make-shift insurance.

And this people, is a question of choice. The government and industries are not changing without our voice. Without the massive change in public voice and consumption, we will continue to ruin our future, investing in a false sense of power and mark of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment